Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, September 7, 2017

More Lili of the Valley - DL style

A few weeks ago I said I had printed out a selection of images bought from the new Lili of the Valley Christmas range of digistamps. I was slowed down because we had several lovely visits from our family in UK, but I have finally managed to colour them, and most of them are now cards.
I am trying to use up some very old items of stash, and among these I found a pack of pastel coloured DL cards which were just perfect for these images. There are three sets so here goes.
1). Christmas feasting.

I thought this was such a cute image. I printed three of them and coloured them with copic markers. Then I chose three base cards and routed around in my Christmas snippets to find oddments of paper and trims to go with each one. So they are basically the same with different colours for their scarves and base cards, and different embellishments.

2). Nativity
These little images were sold as a Nativity trio, but I will let you into a little secret. I didn't like the centre one because the stable was empty. Now for me the whole point of the Christmas story is that there was a very special baby in the stable, so I put one in. I don't normally adapt digistamps, but I felt I had to do this. Here are the before and after pictures.

I again coloured the images with copic markers except for one. Can you spot the difference in my photo? My sister does beautiful colouring with coloursoft pencils, and as I have a lovely set of these, I thought I should try them again, so I used them for my first set. But I was not happy with the result. My arthritic hands struggle to hold a pen for long enough for me to sign my name, so I really struggled with this. Copic markers are my go-to colouring tools and they only need such a light touch, that I find them much easier to handle. 

I made backing papers using ink dusters and distressed inks, and die cut gold mirri-card mats for the images. The sentiments were printed on the computer. I made a set of five all the same




3).Angels from the realms of glory!
Another cute image. LOTV does them so well. Aren't they truly angelic? I found I could get four of these on an A4 sheet of paper, so that's what I did. I used - you guessed it - copic markers to colour them -  and for speed I used the same pens for each one. I added some Leonie Pujol glitter ink to the wings and halos.
The image was a bit too small for the DL cards, but I was determined to use them up so I chose two pale yellow ones, and two peach ones, and found some lilac off-cuts that went well with both colours. I cut a mat for each image, and from the bit that is hidden behind the picture, I cut the sentiments using Joanna Sheen dies. I also used a Joanna Sheen Signature die - starry border - along the lower edge of each mat, and used the cut out stars to fill in between the words.

So there I have it; another ten cards to add to my collection. According to my plan, I am about where I hoped to be by the end of June! But that is still an improvement on my total a few weeks ago.
I am entering the first two  in the ABC Christmas Challenge where the criteria is S for sketch/T for trio. I didn't manage to match them to a sketch but they both show a trio.
All three cards are going over to Pixie's Snippets Playground and also to 
The Merry Christmas Challenge #33 where Anything Goes as long as it is Christmas.

10 comments:

Janis Lewis said...

Beautiful!
Janis, The Merry Christmas Challenge

Di said...

Wonderful selection of cards Kate - I love them all! But how strange of LOTV not to include Jesus and Mary in the stable scene, your addition is perfect. Ha, I can't spot the difference in the colouring mediums you used. Am wavering towards the top being the pencils perhaps?

Great to see you in the Snippets Playground!

Hugs

Di xx

Jean said...

Great cards Kate, I love all of these images, the little mice are so cute and the stable is definitely better with the people inside. Your colouring looks good on them all, much as like colouring with pencils it does take more time and I often resort to alcohol markers for speed.
Jean x

kiwimeskreations said...

Sweet cards Kate - love the angel ones in particular, and good on you adapting the nativity image :-).
Have you thought of wrapping a thin layer of foam around a pen or pencil to give a better grip??
Blessings
Maxine

Mrs A. said...

Beautiful array of cards Kate. I'm getting behind with mine but I'm woefully lacking any get up and go right now. Saw your garden tidying up on your other blog. Got to start on tidying here ready for the autumn which seems to be fast approaching. Enjoy your trip to the UK. Hugs Mrs A.

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at TMCC, good luck!!! Amy DT

Megan J said...

Hi Kate, a super set of cards, must say I love the nativity trio, they look spectacular with the gold. Have a wonderful week... Megan GD Snippets Playground

veronica said...

you are way ahead with cards Kate, cute images from LOTV, think you inproved the nativity!
tablet won't let me comment on your blog, so have to wait until I get to the main computer, which is why I am so late
xxxx

Sharon said...

Cute selection of cards.
Thanks for joining us at the ABC Christmas Challenge.

Adventures in Paperland said...

A wonderful trio of cards and I love them! Thanks for joining us at ABC Christmas Challenge. Lisa DT xxx