Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Bargain basement card

The downside of being on the mailing list for so many online craft companies is the number of unwanted messages I have to sift through every day to make sure I haven´t missed an important one! But the up side is that I get notification of some very real bargains, which occasionally I do make use of. Todays card is the result of one of those.
I am on the mailing list for Sizzix.co.uk, and a week or two ago they sent me their sale catalogue. There was not a lot to attract my attention but I did spot a set of three stamps and four dies called doodle flowers. These have been around a long time and I have often looked at them, but thought they were quite expensive. But in the sale they were knocked down from 26.69 euros to 6.67 euros. (The site insists on changing the prices to euros because it knows I am in Spain, even though I pay with my English account!). Anyway, at that price who could resist?
For my card I found a scrap of creamy yellow card that I had sprayed with gold mist, and cut the bottom layer of the main flower. Then I found the nearest match of ink and stamped the doodle onto white card and cut it with the corresponding die. The other two dies were for the base layer only, so I chose a darker ink and stamped these onto the same yellow card and cut them out.

I raided my yellow/orange/ red patterned snippets box and chose a tiny pale cream strip to cut the lace with a Marianne die, and found two other pieces that worked well with my colour scheme. The bottom piece is a little snippet left over from when I made a backing paper using a photo of a wayside poppy, back in 2013. You can read how I did this HERE.
I cut the sections out, glued them together,  and lightly dusted around the whole panel, and over the lace,  with DI Rusty Hinge. 
The little butterfly was fluttering around in my snippets box so I rescued him and cut a tiny brown body using a Memory Box die to attach him with.
I glued on the flowers and used an ancient Clarity stamp and Memento Potter´s Clay ink for the sentiment.
I also bought a couple of other bargains from Sizzix (to justify the postage charge - well that what I am telling myself anyway!), so no doubt they will be turning up on here soon.
In the meantime I will pop over to Pixie´s Snippets Playground with this card.

4 comments:

Jean said...

I like this Kate and your dies were deffinitely a bargain not to miss out on. I like this style of flower and I have a simmilar old wood mounted one somewhere. The papers you used are both lovely too and the die cut lace.
Jean x

Di said...

What a fabulous bargain Kate! I do love those doodle flowers and it's true that good things come to those who wait :) Then I went via your link to see how you made the poppies backing paper - I missed it first time round and am so glad you linked back - very clever!

Totally love your snippets card of course!

Hugs

Di xx

kiwimeskreations said...

What a stunner kate - love the way the butterfly just ties everything together - and well done on the shopping :-). I am waiting for some stamps and a stencil from the States on a free postage promotion - that is a very rare occurrence that I could not pass over!!
Blessings
Maxine

Sarn said...

Oh you would not be human if you had resisted such a craft bargain.

Lovely floral card Kate.

Hugs, Sarn xxx