Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Thursday, January 1, 2015

You´re a Star

Who´s a star? Why you are! The ´You´ in question this time is another of my grandsons who will be leaving his teens behind him at the end of this month. How can that be possible? It seems like only yesterday that I was looking after him with his cousin of the same age, and they were laying together in the playpen, out in our back garden!
His main hobby is acting, and each year he is part of the cast for the pantomime at Perton Civic Centre near Wolverhampton. Well this year he has his moment - he has the star part. Yes he is Aladdin, and his mum, and brother, and also my youngest son, his Uncle Ben, are all in it too. So if any of you are in the area, there are still a few seats available. It is on 20th-24th January. Pop along and see some Perrys having fun! Marcus will actually be on the stage on the night of his birthday so I thought this card might be quite appropriate.

I wish I could remember where I got this file from. I think I got it as a svg and converted it to a Silhouette Studio file. So if anyone knows where it might have come from, please let me know so I  can give credit where credit is due! I really must find a better way to catalogue all my files for Silhouette. 

Anyway, I chose a sheet of shaded orange card and folded it to make a DL card.  I resized the image to fit it, ungrouped all the little stars, and removed the larger ones. Then I cut the rest, and the letters at the top, from black vinyl. It was a real pain to weed as the tiny stars kept lifting with the transfer tape, and I ended up placing quite a lot of them by hand and eye, because they had moved from their original position. Fortunately you can move them around a bit when you first place them, though after a day they are well and truly fixed.

Then I took  the larger stars that I had removed and divided them into four sets. I found some tiny snippets of metallic vinyl left over from my Christmas crafts, and cut one set out of each of green, red, copper and gold. I kept the full image on my screen to help me place them in the right positions, and to finish off I cut a fancy script Happy Birthday from black and shiny red vinyl, and offset them slightly to give a double image. You can just see it in the photo.
The problem is that, having learned to be really frugal, and use up the tiniest snippets of card, paper and especially vinyl, my boxes of larger snippets are not getting emptied out very fast! I think that had better be one of my goals for this year. Always use snippets when you can!
But for now I will take these tiny ones over to Pixie´s Snippets Playground, and see whether anyone else is out to play.

Happy New Year
 to all my friends and followers.

5 comments:

Jean said...

I think this is a really fun design and very appropriate for Marcus.
Jean x

kiwimeskreations said...

Kate this is gorgeous and so appropriate. Well done.
All the best for 2015
Blessings
Maxine

Di said...

Wow Kate, you have soooo much patience! This is fabulous!

Hugs

Di xx

MaryH said...

Kate, Happy New Year! I always get such a kick out of your posts. You have the most interesting & busy (not to mention talented!) relatives. Congrats to your grand on becoming a young adult, and likewise on his big dramatic acting gig. I can just imagine how thrilled he was with this particularly special & appropriate card. I hope your 2015 is off to a grand start, and I'm off to see your earlier intriguing post with 2 delightful looking little folks smiling out at me. Hugs & TFS

Sarn said...

Hi Kate . . . and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you too . . . a little late I know, but heartfelt all the same!

GORGEOUS card . . . and very appropriate.

Hugs, Sarn xxx