Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Friday, January 25, 2013

A new stamp for Rudolph day.

Here we are at the 25th of January already so it is time to start on next year's Christmas card. Yes, I can hear some of you groaning at the dreaded 'C' word, but this is a great way to get a head start on your card collection, so why not fly over to Sarn's blog, Stamping for Pleasure, see what cards have been made, and maybe get inspired to join in yourself. Come next December, you'll be so glad you did.
I guess we all like a bargain. I know I do. So while I was making up an order with Crafter's Companion to use up some old loyalty stars, I had a look in the 'sale' section and chose this sweet little stamp from Sheena Douglas' Little bit festive collection. So when it arrived this morning, it seemed the best idea was to try it out for this month's Rudolph Day card.
The stamp was a bit bigger than I had expected, and after my rather huge postal bill this Christmas, I had promised myself to try to stick to A6 cards, at least for any that will be posted to UK. So I needed to keep this one simple. There was no space for anything fancy. I started with a piece of smooth card coloured a soft beige with a flex-marker, and stamped the image in Memento rich cocoa ink. I then coloured it with copic pens, distresses the edges with Memento olive, and mounted it on an oddment of Christmas paper. This was then mounted onto a very old pearlised olive base card. (Two more of my crafting resolutions; to try to use my snippets which are now colour sorted and stored in easily accessible boxes, and to use as many as possible of the huge collection of ready folded cards and envelopes that I have accumulated over the years!). I then added a simple greeting from a set of clear individual word stamps that are donkeys years old, and I have no idea what company they came from. Finally I stamped the tiny Merry Christmas border which came with the main image, backed it with the same Christmas paper I had used for the image, and glued it across the lower edge of the card. So now I am off to link this up to Sarn's blog, and go and feed my patient husband who is probably thinking tea is cancelled for today!

I am also linking this to:- 
Christmas Cards All Year Round January Challenge; Anything goes.

10 comments:

Kathleen said...

Lovely card and a sweet image and I am wondering if she is putting on the decoration or taking it off, as my Grandson took all mine off, well ones he could reach. lol
Great colourful papers.
Thanks for your comment.

Kath x

Anonymous said...

Kate that's such a sweet stamp! Really, really cute. You're right about it not needing anything else too.

Hugs
Brenda

Jean said...

This is a lovely card,a great start for this years collection. The stamp is gorgeous.Jean x

Glenda Atkins said...

Fabulous Christmas image and card, I like the size of the image as it certainly becomes THE focal point and being so adorable makes it extra wonderful!

Di said...

Perfect Kate - it really does sum up Christmas in the eyes of a child. Hugs, Di xx

Shoshi said...

Very cute new stamp, Kate! No doubt you will soon have this year's Christmas cards sorted lol!

Thanks for your visit and your lovely comment. I managed to complete the spoke guards in time for the show, and you are right - I had loads of brilliant comments about them!! As soon as I get the video edited I'll be blogging about the project. They turned out even better than I could have hoped.

Yesterday I was completely pole-axed by the show experience and crashed on the recliner. After 2 extremely bad nights I'm not yet back to normal but feeling tons better today than yesterday. I shall have a soak in the bath and catch up with all my blog comments and emails, sort my show receipts (ugh - the truth will out - just how much did I spend lol!!) and eventually get to the heap of stuff dumped by my dear hubby on my ARTHaven floor - I haven't looked at my purchases yet! It was such a great day out and a real treat, and I met some great people.

Even if you weren't part of it, happy belated WOYWW!

Shoshi

Inkypinkydelights said...

Lovely card! Thanks for sharing at Christmas Cards All Year Round. Isn't it fabulous to gather a stock of festive cards throughout the year! Good luck with the Challenge.Judy DT

Sarn said...

Cute Christmas card there Kate. Love traditional colour co-ordination and sweet image.

Thanks for joining in.

Hugs
Sarn xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Kate this is so sweet - love the way you have kept it simple and focused just on the image.
Blessings
Maxine

scrappymo! said...

Very sweet stamp and sweet card.
I am with you about keepin the costs down. It is expensive to post overseas from Canada too.

I see over and over this year that we all are working onusing up our scraps...good for you for keeping to your goal!

Great card.