Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Saturday, May 5, 2012

And so ends another month ....

A few of you may remember that I started off this year following two photography challenges which involved taking a picture every day for a year. There were several of these on the internet but I chose to follow Suzie's 365+1 challenge where each day you are given a word prompt to inspire your photo. At the same time I decided to just take a photo each day of what I was doing, or anything really that caught my eye.

I have to admit that somewhere during the second month I gave up on Suzie's challenge because I found myself inventing situations so that I could use the word prompt. This seemed too contrived so I decided to concentrate on my other photos, and each month I make a new page to display them so that at the end of the year I will have a diary of my life during 2012. I am using a 12" x 12" format, and a set of five Carina Gardener month-masks that I bought from Jessica Sprague's site. I choose a mask at the start of each month and update it daily whenever possible.

Knowing my total inability to recall recent events, despite the fact that i have clear, detailed memories of when I was five (some 60 years ago - ouch!), I decided to put my photo collages into an album with a facing page for each month saying what the photos represent. Usually, when I have filled my photo page I post it on my other blog, but this time I decided to mount it and finish the pages to show on here. Although I edit the photoboards digitally I like to add some 'real' embellishments to add interest. For April I used some chipboard letters and punched/diecut corners and motifs.
So that was life in the Perry household for April. Now I have made a start on May. This is the first time I have used a photoboard with regular shaped spaces, and although I edited it slightly to take three larger photos, I think I prefer the other boards which have an assortment of sizes and shapes on them. To show you what I mean, here are the first pages that I made in January.
It is harder sometimes to edit photos to fit the various shapes, but I think it makes the page more interesting.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great way to show your photos

veronica said...

lovely idea Kate - like the details page too. I think you are right, the January page looks a more interesting layout - think it was a bind to get all the photos to fit though!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic album that will be.

viv said...

lovely idea Kate. you will have a great album by the end of the year

Anne said...

That will be beautiful !

cookcreateread said...

Looks fab! :)

kiwimeskreations said...

What a great project - and yes I can relate to what you are saying regarding memories!!
Blessings
Maxine

Shoshi said...

Talking of taking on projects, Kate - I think this is QUITE a project you've taken on, yourself, lol!! I love the idea, and your photo montages look great. It will be lovely to look back on the whole year. I find my blog very helpful for reminding me what I've done, and when, and how I did it! My brainfog means that I do require these aids!

Thanks for your comment - I'm about to upload the progress I've made on the first page, so you can see how it's going to look.

Shoshi