Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sunset silhouettes

I bought a new bridge camera in January and spent a month or two getting to grips with some of its features. So when I did an evening shopping trip and saw a lovely sunset I just had to take some photos of it. (I was reliably told that the lilac colour was due to volcanic dust in the atmosphere). This was one of my favourites. I always like photos that have a main view with foliage etc silhouetted around the edge, and I knew that one day I would use the photo as inspiration for a card. So when I saw the Create a Scene Challenge for this month was Silhouettes, I gave it a go, and here is the card I made.

I used glossy cardstock, and torn paper masks to give more contours along the horizon, and I sponged the sky with Adirondak peach bellini ink , and wild honey, victorian velvet and dusty concord distress inks. Then I reversed the masks and used Memento tuxedo black and London fog inks for the hills. When these were dry I used a collection of small foliage stamps by Lavinia, Stampscapes, Just for fun and A time to stamp, and the Tuxedo Black memento pad to add the silhouettes. I trimmed the finished image and double layered it with lilac card and then very dark grey card, and mounted it onto a square orange base card. Then I used the left over trimmings of grey card to cut and emboss two flourishes with one of my first spellbinder dies, and used these to hold a small lilac greeting. (The finished card is actually more colourful than it looks in this photo. The bright sun out here makes taking accurate photos quite difficult|).

I like scene cards but have a limited range of stamps for them so far, so I am pleased that I have finally managed to enter this challenge which I have followed since it started three months ago. Do visit their blog here, and see some of the other lovely scenes that have been created.

11 comments:

Karen Aicken said...

Lovely inspiration photo, and even lovelier card! I really like the way the words tuck into the flourishes too.
Cheers, Karen

Saskia said...

Lovely photo and it inspired you to an awesome card! Love that little tree sitting on the left hill.

Jean said...

I love your photo and the card it inspired. The colours are beautiful. Jean x

Di said...

Great photo and a fabulous card too Kate. I know what you mean about the luggage allowance precluding the Mariposa stack :( Still, you sure manage great without it! Di xx

craftimamma said...

What a fabulous photo and your interpretation of it is beautiful. The colours are wonderful.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

PS Don't worry about not commenting on my blog often. I know exactly what it is like. I wouldn't mind so much if it was nice things taking up my time but at the moment, unfortunately it's unpleasant ones. Hopefully things will improve in a couple of months.

kiwimeskreations said...

Stunning photograph!! And I love the way you have interpreted it on your card.
Blessings
Maxine

Deanna said...

BEAUTIFUL! love the colors and how you masked the horizons in your scene. Your pictures are just stunning:)

NancyD said...

Very lovely scene! I am so glad you were able to play with us this month at Craft a Scene. NancyD

veronica said...

fantastic photo Kate, and a great card too! Love the sky you have created,and the landscape is good too

Chris said...

Love the sun set picture , looks like a great camera
Chris

Caroline Rawcliffe said...

A great card, Kate, the colours match your photo brilliantly.