Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

WOYWW 147

Yes, it's Wednesday again, so time to pop over to Julia's blog to see what my crafting friends are up to this week. I have had a couple of weeks off trying to shake a very nasty flu' bug, and I am pleased to say I am just about back to normal now. This week I have had the company of my sister from UK, so we have spent a lot of time just wandering along the sea-front, or sitting out in the sun chatting. But we did manage a bit of crafting time too and we decided to have a go at a technique featured in the latest issue of Craft Stamper magazine, which uses fresh flowers to make pretty backing papers. I have very few flowers in my garden at the minute so at the weekend we went for a walk across the campo to pick wild flowers. We managed to get well and truly bitten by the mosquitoes that hatched out after the recent rain, but we did get some pretty flowers, but it wasn't until yesterday that we managed to use them. So here is my desk as it was yesterday with the flowers, a general mixed bunch and some of the yellow chrysanthemums that grow wild very abundantly during March.

The idea is to make an arrangement of petals on some uncoated paper or card, add a another sheet on top of the flowers, sandwich these layers between the A,B and C plates and pass the whole lot through a cuttlebug. (I presume this would work just as well with other die cut machines too). Some of the leaves and petals are very juicy so you need a piece of kitchen paper handy to mop up any over spill. When you gently take apart the two sheets of paper, both have an imprint of the flowers on them, but one is more detailed than the other. You carefully remove the squashed debris of flowers and leave the papers to dry. It is a case of trial and error as some flowers did not shed any colour while other were quite dark but not necessarily the colour you expected. For instance, bright red poppy petals left a deep blue print on the paper. The yellow daisies gave the best result. An alternative is to spray the arrangement on the first sheet with mica mist, (I used bright green perfect pearls spray and a pale lilac glimmer mist), and then add the second sheet of paper and pass them through the machine. This means the second sheet will get a print of the flower shapes in the colour of the mist.

This made some lovely subtle coloured papers which will be perfect behind a larger image on a card or ATC. Here is a selection from our trial run. I shall continue experimenting with different flowers as they appear, and try making more precise arrangements as well as random patterns.

I shall link this to Julia's blog now while it is still Wednesday, but as my sister flies home this evening I am going to sit outside in the sun with her for her final couple of hours. But I will be back tomorrow to visit you all and see what you had on your desks this week.

17 comments:

Karen said...

I am glad to hear that you are beginning to feel a bit better now [[[hugs]]]. It sounds like you have had a fun week with your Sister and I hope you enjoy your time sitting out in the sunshine :)

Take care and have a fab WOYWW, Luv Karen xx #91

ScrappnBee said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with your sister! That looks like a really cool technique. When flowers finally bloom here, I may just have to try it! Have a great WOYWW! -Amanda x146

veronica said...

meant to have a go at this again - not got round to it! Love the ones with the glimmer mist, look gorgeous, and not only for backgrounds

CraftygasheadZo said...

Ah yes I've seen this technique before, what a great idea, and it creates a lovely effect. Take care & enjoy snooping the WOYWW desks, it's now Thursday but I'm still nosing! Zo xx 74

Jingle said...

I love what you are doing with the flowers!

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...a very busy creative desk you've got there...what a wonderful idea to use the petals as stamps (mother nature gives us just about everything)...the ones you've done look pretty impressive...thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog...have a loVely week...Mel :)

Lunch Lady Jan said...

What a fab idea - never seen that before!! Isn't it fab how the flowers don't give you the colours you expect, I love that.
Thanks for the visit and the kind comments!
Hugs, LLJ #74 xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Glad to hear you are recovering - I am sure having your sister with you was a great tonic.
I have used this technique before, but the thought of the glimmer mist is a great one - maybe I will try again :-)
Blessings
Maxine

Shoshi said...

What an interesting technique, Kate! You've produced some very pretty papers there. If you peel the flowers off carefully, are they instant pressed flowers, having been pressed through the Cuttlebug? Lol!

Glad you had your sister's company and had a nice time, but sorry to hear how poorly you've been. There are some horrible bugs around that take ages to shift these days, so hopefully you're well on the mend now.

Thanks for your nice comment on my blog! Glad you like the knitting. I'm getting on really well with it now - it's so long since I've done any, and I'm really enjoying it.

Happy belated WOYWW,
Shoshi #12

Angie said...

Oh my, I don't know which is prettier the flowers or the papers! I have to admit that I'd have trouble with the flower stuff, they are just stunning!

Clare with paint in her hair said...

fabulous flowers!

Eliza said...

What an amazing technique now that is one that I think I will give it a go, sounds like fun and such random results too.

Thanks for sharing and happy crafting
Eliza no 181

Eliza said...

What an amazing technique now that is one that I think I will give it a go, sounds like fun and such random results too.

Thanks for sharing and happy crafting
Eliza no 181

SophieNewton said...

Fabulous, the backgrounds are stunning, what a brilliant technique, must give that a go. Thanks for sharing x
Sophie no.183

fatmonica said...

I saw this in Craft Stamper but haven't got round to giving it a go yet.I love the paper you've made and can't wait to see what you do with it!

Shoshi said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, Kate. Yes, official "Zentangle" has a vocabulary all its own - in words and pictures! If you are going to call it Zentangle then you are supposed to use these, but really, if you want to fill spaces with whatever designs you like, that's fine. I'm really enjoying doing it! I've just uploaded my first plankton drawing.

I've done the paradox equivalent with nails and thread - it was very popular years ago - somewhere I've still got my best one, a series of concentric circles done in ever darkening blue thread against a black backround, entitled "Event Horizon." Fun stuff!

Hope you had a good weekend.

Hugs,
Shoshi

Chris said...

Love the flower LO's
Chris