Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WOYWW 144

Hi all. This is a very quick post before I rush out to my usual Wednesday sewing/chat group. I took my photo before I went to bed but it was in the very early hours of Wednesday. I started this at around 9.30, so it's only 8.30 in UK and I see there are already 85 posts!

I was having some fun last night playing around with clay and paint. Last Wednesday we had a man who was brave enough to visit a room full of women to collect any jewelry we wanted mended, and to buy any unwanted gold and silver. He is very clever at what he does, and I am really pleased with some repairs he has done for me. I am hoping today he will bring my ring. He has taken an old ring of my husband's and a small Thailand sapphire pendant of mine, and he is making them into ring for me. Anyway, I digress. Last week one lady who used to be a silver smith, brought in a box of off cuts and bits and pieces for him to buy and in amongst them was a silver plaque of the 'Madonna and child'. My friend asked if she could borrow it and promptly gave it to me saying I could make a mould of it and make replicas. (She said she was only thinking of her decoration next Christmas, because I usually make her one!) So I found my last little bit of mold-n-pour and made the mould (in purple on my mat). I then made it twice with air drying clay and three times with Hearty clay. I am pleased with the results. The detail is excellent except perhaps with the facial features using the hearty clay. So last night they were dry and I filed down the edges and gave them a first coat of paint. I experimented with luminarte, gesso and ordinary acrylic, and now I shall add various metal accents, mica sprays etc, to make them more interesting.

Also last night, while on the theme of 'Madonna and child', I tried out a cutting file that I bought from craftrobo megastore. I was using my silhouette cameo machine and I thought I would try it out with a thicker card, so I used 280g coated card, and after a couple of trial cuts, I got the settings just right and it cut beautifully. Here you can see the cut card which I have peeled off the carrier sheet, leaving a perfect negative image. I think I can make use of this as well, so two for the price of one. I shall try down-sizing it tonight, and see if it cuts just as well when it is smaller.

Well now I do have to go, but I'll be back this evening to visit all your desks and see what exciting things you are getting up to.
If you would like to see how other folk spend their time, pop over to Julia's blog and follow the links.

21 comments:

Trish Latimer said...

spooky....mould n pour mould making is on my list for this afternoon!!love the madonna, gorgeous!!! Trish #62

Peggy said...

I love the Madonna I have a pazzel but don't know how to use it

Karen said...

A lovely creative work space with lots of gorgeous crafty goodies to play with :) I hope you enjoyed your sewing group :)

Have a great WOYWW and a fab week, Luv Karen xx

May said...

Just love the madonna!! Hope you had a fabulous time at your class today, Have a good week, Hugs May x x x

Di said...

Loving the Madonna - is there anything you can't do craftwise Kate? Hope you had fun at the sewing group. Di xx

veronica said...

such a tidy workspace Kate - not even a cat! Love your madonna, both versions are great

kay said...

loving your moulding art,happy crafting,x

JoZart Designs said...

The idea of taking a mould of the piece of jewellery tickled me as I have been known to buy an ornament, take it home to make the mould then take the ornament back for a refund !! I know someone who takes the mould and pour with her and will make it there and then in the shop and walk around "browsing" whilst it sets!!!
joZarty x

Carol said...

Hi Kate Thanks for all the lovely comments! am now going to spend the next couple of hours looking at all the goodies on your blog. Can't believe how much there is to see! Madonna and Chil fantastic may have a liile play at moulding. Don't have all the right equipment but am going to try with some sculpy thats lying around in my stash somewhere!!!
Thanks for the inspiration
Carol x

505whimsygirl said...

The Madonna looks great! You are so brave, always trying new things (new to me anyways).

Hugs,
Kay
30

kiwimeskreations said...

Wow you are a versatile artist!! Well done on the moulding and also the cutting.
Blessings
Maxine

Shirley-Anne said...

Hi Kate thank you for taking time out from your busy craft time to visit and leave kind words for me on my blog .
I admire you for all the experimenting that you embark on .Thank you for sharing hints and tips for us along the way as well as your successes or failures.

Joynana said...

Love the Madonna and child and how smart of you to make your own mold. You are sooo creative. Thanks for dropping by my blog today. #36

Debbie Rock said...

Thanks for popping in at my blog yesterday ... it was a pleasure to have you visit! LoVe all your projects and shall be back to see more! Love Debbie xXx

April said...

Ooh the reproductions of the Madonna and child plaque are looking great. They will make fab decorations. And your cut out has come out really well too. x

Julia Dunnit said...

Great idea for the Madonna and child piece, your friend willbe thrilled that she was right and that you can giver her one for christmas!!
Sorry about the email thing at my blog...it's in thursday's post, but
here I am:
juliadunnit@me.com

CraftygasheadZo said...

Wow such a lot, that Madonna is fab. Take care, enjoy this WOYWW, it's now Thursday afternoon & I'm still doing the snooping bit, all but in shifts! Zo xx 60

Kathryn said...

OOOoooo! Hadn't thought of making moulds! Great idea!!
I have a Silhouette. I should use it more.
Thanks for the inspiration, your work it beautiful!
Hugs!
kat

Angie said...

Love turning old into new. Your space is delightful.

scrappymo! said...

The mold and pour sounds fabulous. I think this would be great to make those cameos and little flowers that are so popular now.

Deb's Pen Pot said...

Good luck with the rest of your Madonna - it'll look fab. I like your digression of the mending/remaking of the jewellery - it's a lovely idea - and would love to see what the chap has done...if you like it enough! Thanks for popping by my Pen Pot - have a good week and I'll see you on the WOYWW trail, Deb