Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Christmas Flower Fairies

About five years ago at the Hobbycraft Show in the NEC, Birmingham, I was wow-ed by the Pinflair stall where they were covering small chipboard squares with printed fabric to go on cards. I spent far too much money buying some, used them that year and then stashed them away, never to see light of day again. Well not never actually, because when Bah! Humbug! challenged us to use fabric on a card, I went straight to that box.
I did have some lovely old musical instruments on one piece of fabric but I seem to have used most of that, so instead I got out the piece featuring Christmas flower fairies. I probably bought this because I am an avid collecter of all authentic Cicely Mary Barker Flower Fairies items, but on closer inspection, the fabric is very badly printed and doesn't do her artwork justice at all. But undaunted I cut out one each of the four images and used them to cover the chipboard pieces, still stored with the fabric -amazing! I then jazzed them up a bit with red, green and clear stickles. I dug out a length of pretty green and red metalic mesh (I think Jean and I bought this between us on my recent visit, but goodness me - if I can't remember clearly what I bought a couple of months ago, it's no wonder I don't know where half of my stash came from!). Using this in various ways, together with papers from my Christmas off-cuts box, I managed to put together four aceptable Christmas cards, which I am entering in these challenges:-
Bah! Humbug! Challenge 46: Use Fabric.
Everybody Art Challenge: A Christmas card.
Scrapbook Sisters Card Challenge 61: Christmas Time.
Little Red Wagon Challenge 108: Christmas Theme.

12 comments:

veronica said...

good idea Kate, they made nice cards, ideal for children - at least you could find your old stash, not sure I can find the snowflake fabric I think I remember buying!

Di said...

Really beautiful cards Kate. Laughing here - I keep finding odd bits of stash and thinking 'Now where did THAT come from'. But, even though these were tucked away they certainly do the trick! Di xx

Jean said...

Lovely cards Kate. I think I have still got a bit of my Christmas Fairy fabric somewhere too although I used most of mine to make some hanging decorations a couple of years ago. I haven't used the bit of green and red mesh though but yours looks great here on your cards.Jean x

Annie said...

yeah lovely to see someone using stuff they bought years ago and producing som fab projects.
Ann xxx
Bah! Humbug! DT

Rosanne said...

Wonderful set of cards, thanks for linking it up to Little Red Wagon!

Max said...

A super set of cards. Thank you for sharing with us at Bah! Humbug!

Luv'n'Stuff
Max
xx
Max's Craft Creations
Bah! Humbug! Challenges DT

Sandra said...

Great cards Kate. I also love the Flower Fairies!
Sandra

Saskia said...

Cute cards, Kate!

fatmonica said...

I love these cards!They're gorgeous.

Colleen said...

Great way to use up those pieces of fabric that we all seem to have bought then put away! Love the cards you have made with them.

Colleen
Guest Designer
Bah! Humbug!

Shoshi said...

Very unusual cards, Kate - lovely to use fabric. Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog, and I hope you enjoyed your outing with the sewing group in Granada. We loved Granada - all the Moorish architecture and atmosphere!!

Glad to hear you've put the crochet book on your wish list! Are you dropping weighty hints??? My hubby told me both books are now on their way! I got a book for him today from Amazon but it's gone straight back because the wretched thing is bent! How do you bend a hard back book...

I'm feeling lots better today, thanks, although I'm still coughing and my throat's still sore, but I actually managed to do some creating in my ARTHaven and I think that's helped me feel better too - gradually getting back to normal.

Hugs, Shoshi

Ruth said...

These cards are all lovely! I like the use of your fabric and mesh.