Handicrafts by Kate Perry and other ramblings

Monday, June 27, 2011

Too much help! and more scrapbooking.

I was just getting my bits together to make a simple challenge card (see my previous post) and I started by printing out the image. But it came out stripey, so I knew I had to give in and replace the colour cartridge in my printer that has been registering empty for weeks now! So I turned my back for a few minutes and when I returned to my table this is what I found! Arwen, my beautiful white cat has got the hump because she spends all day being moved off my work. her son Baggins is curled up in the elegant box I use for mica misting, and Luna, the tabby is mid-moult and is covering my chair with hairs! But at least they make me keep my workroom tidy because I have to put everything away, or at least on my 'working on now' tray, whenever I leave the room or they would ruin it in seconds. I dispatched them all and took back 'my space' to get the card made.

I wanted to keep the card simple so I could get back to making a few more pages of my son's scrapbook. I was quite pleased with these. Our son was diagnosed as having ADHD but not the severe type that would have had him and us climbing the walls. He was just a very active little boy with limitless energy, no concept of fear and little self control. So we tried to channel his energy into something worthwhile, and we knew that the best way to have a really enjoyable family day out, was to go to an adventure playground where he and his brothers could be 'on the move' all day. I wanted to capture his energy and fearlessness in these pages and I had so many photos to chose from. I wanted to use as many as I could so I featured two on the first page that perfectly capture how he was, and on the second page I made film strips of a few really fun days out that we had.

When I did a small filmstrip for a previous scrapbook I carefully cut out the frames and used a punch all along each side. This time I used a digital image of one frame, cutting and pasting it to make a strip. I then saved it as a bitmap and imported it into my craft robo. I cut it out of black paper and then carefully measured the apertures and edited each photo to the correct proportions, cropping a few so that each set were all either oriented vertically or horizontally. Finally I joined them in strips on the computer and printed them out. I was very relieved to find that I had got it just right, and the film strips fitted exactly. I also used the craft robo to cut out the large letters and their mats. Then I fiddled around trying to print the journalling on suitable triangle shapes to fit between the pictures and added an epoxy sticker and a few 'movement' words. So that's two more pages to cross off my plan. That's thirty three finished and seventeen more to go, and it has to be done by the end of September. That sounds fine but it is already almost too hot out here to handle the photos, so I am going to struggle a bit.Help!!

I am entering these pages in Paper Crafting Journey Challenge 13: Anything goes. Make it Monday 43: Always anything goes.
Inspire me Fridays 12: Any craft

19 comments:

Jean said...

Lovely pages again Kate they really capture his energy. Jean x

Unknown said...

Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog!!!! Your pages are awesome!!!! Love the design and your choice of papers!!!! Fantastic!!!!

fatmonica said...

Love the layouts! Love your cats too and have to say Baggins is a great name for a cat!They all look so at home.You think it's YOUR desk but they know better!!

Glenda Atkins said...

What talent you have Kate, I've browsed through some of this blog site and was delighted to find so many lovey creations. AND you get to love in Spain too:)

glenda

Wendy (aka Roo) said...

Wow, these are terrific!!! Well done!!! I found you via the Inspire Me Friday linking party. New follower & look forward to taking a peeksie at what else you have!!!

Michelle said...

Hi

Wow, fantastic layouts!! Not sure I'm too keen on that big spider though, lol.

loved the picture of your cats, too cute.

Thank you for sharing with us this week at Make It Monday.

Don't forget......... if you leave a comment on another entry, mention that you saw their card on "Make It Monday" for a chance at second prize. The more entries you comment on the more chance you have of winning.

Michelle :o)

Hlora said...

AWE Your page is super cute as always. Love it! I saw your project in "Make It Monday"

Laura (sandytoz) said...

Fabby layouts!
Thanks for playing along with Paper Crafting Journey!
Laura PCJDT

Shirley-Anne said...

Hi there, Kate .Wow you have shared a lot on this post .Good company in your room I see .Love your workings with the photos of your young one . .Clever !
thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog .

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate! GREAT!!!! LO and pictures and love your papers too! saw your project on Make it Monday too! Great job! hugs Samantha :0)

Saskia said...

I love that second lay-out, very original! And your cats are too cute!

Sandy said...

Two fun layouts - I really like the filmstrips as it allows you to feature so many photos, clever idea, I'm not keen on the spider, LOL I have a small die for a spider and have one cut and thrown into the die container, I get a scare evertime I come across it LOL,
I saw your entry on Make It Monday, good luck,
Sandy

TRACEY O said...

Fantastic layouts. Love them both.

Anonymous said...

Great layouts,very effective! Thanks for sharing at MIM
Hugs Julie P

Shirley said...

A gorgeous layout and what a great idea with the film strip.
I saw your layout on the make it Monday blog.

Shirley

Kerrie said...

Great scrapbook layout..


Thanks for sharing your creation with Make It Monday.
Don't forget......... if you leave a comment on another entry, mention that you saw their card on "Make It Monday" for a chance at second prize. The more entries you comment on the more chance you have of winning second prize.

Chris said...

Love the LO and the cats, we have two we got from the RSPCA 5 years ago. If you look at my old posts you will find some lo's of them.
Do you miss the English garden or are you a Spanish gardener now?
Again thanks for your comments
Chris

Angy B said...

Great to speak to you at last the other day Kate. Love your crafting cats. Fab page layouts.
Hope to see you in October - Jo has promised she will bring you round for craft session. LOL.
Angy x

Hannah said...

your cats are sooooooooo cute :)
love hannah xx